We invite and encourage everyone to read this letter from the Town of Esopus Waterfront Advisory Board to the Department of State regarding a proposed Hudson River project.

TOWN OF ESOPUS
WATERFRONT ADVISORY BOARD
MEETING MINUTES
MARCH 22, 2011

 

MEMBERS PRESENT                            MEMBERS EXCUSED

Kathie Quick - Chairperson                   Don Cole
Bill Benson                                         Rosemarie Kristofy
Michael Minor                                     Kathy Weitze                                      
Eli Schloss                                                       
Carol Tomasetti
Marion Zimmer

OTHERS PRESENT

Gloria VanVliet - Liaison to Town Board

 

Kathie called the meeting  to order at 7:05 pm.

Mike made a motion to accept the minutes from Feb. 22, seconded by Bill, approved by all.

Mike made a motion to accept the secretary’s pay voucher, seconded by Marion, approved by all.

 

ENVIRONMENTAL BOARD

Kathie mentioned that this years sapling giveaway will take place on Saturday, April 16, 2011 at the Town Library between the hours of 11:30 am and 2:30 pm.

 

ZONING BOARD

Don was excused from this meeting and therefore their was nothing to report.

 

PLANNING BOARD

Mike reported that there was nothing new.

 

TOWN OF ESOPUS GREAT RIVER SWEEP

This year’s cleanup of the Sleightsburg Park will take place on Saturday, April 9th from 10:30 am to 2:30 pm. (Rain Date -  April 10th, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm).  Carol mentioned that the area already looks fairly clean.

Kathie prepared some flyers for the event.  They will be distributed to the Post Offices,
VanLoans, theTown Library (Marion will do), Port Ewen Diner and various other businesses around town.

Carol will convert the flyer to a PDF format and email to residents at Riverview.  The Maple Ridge Community  will also be contacted, as well as the Girl Scouts and the Boy Scouts. 
(Good Idea for an Eagle Project)

Kathie will have a table set up for people to sign up for future events and to get a head count of volunteers.  She will also provide Hand sanitizer, water, gloves and color coded bags. (one for regular garbage and one for recyclables) Board members were asked to bring clippers and or cutters of some type. She has also mentioned to John Coutant the need for a porta potty at the Sleightsburg Park for the cleanup.

Carol mentioned that the roadway leading in to the Park is quite uneven and could make walking unsafe.  Katie will contact Al Larking to see about having some gravel put down to even out the surface.

 

CREEK WEEK AND OTHER UPCOMING EVENTS

The Ulster County Environmental Management Council and the Rondout Watershed Council is sponsoring the second annual Creek Week from Sept. 15 to Sept. 26 to promote awareness of our area waterways and creeks. 

Marion said that a kayak paddle in planned for Sept. 18 as part of the Bicentennial Celebration of the Town of Esopus and this event can be incorporated in to Creek Week (Carol will submit the event registration) .  Eli said that Esopus Meadows will do some sort of Ramble (apps will be available in either May or June) and that the Clearwater will also be participating. (Kathie suggested the Waterfront Advisory Board co-sponsor and event with the Clearwater)

Town of Esopus Methodist Church - Apple Festival - Sept. 24 and Sept. 25.

Klyne Esopus Museum - The Exhibit for 2011 is the Bicentennial of the Town of Esopus.  Mike mentioned there will be Guest Speakers and Bus Tours of the west side of the county during the Bicentennial celebration.

Eli said that the Clearwater is working with the students from Robert Graves Elementary School both in the classroom and at Esopus Meadows.

 

CHESTER II vs THE WATER CHESTNUTS

Cutting of the water chestnuts will begin in June.  It is important to make sure that the cuttings are removed far enough away from the shore to ensure that are not washed back in to the water.
Gloria will mention this to the Town Board.

As a result of the Cleanup taking place on April 9th, Katie will let the Board Members whether or not there will be a regular meeting on April26th.

Mike made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:45 pm, seconded by Eli, approved by all.

Respectfully submitted,

 

Karyn E. Grieco
Secretary