The Town of Esopus Zoning Board and Zoning Chapter, hereby enacted for the Town of Esopus, New York, shall regulate or restrict the height and size of buildings, the percentage of a lot that may be occupied, the size of yards, courts and open spaces, the density of population and the location and use of buildings, structures and land for trade, industry, residence or other purposes. In order to accomplish the purpose of this chapter and to further the comprehensive plan for the entire town, the Town shall be divided into several districts, the regulations of which shall be administered uniformly within each district.
This Zoning chapter is created in accordance with and as a means of effectuating a comprehensive plan for protecting and promoting public health, safety, comfort, convenience, economy and general welfare. Specifically, this chapter is intended to carry out the following goals, among others:
- To promote the use of land for its most appropriate, reasonable and beneficial purposes.
- To promote and protect the character, rights and stability of established residences and businesses.
- To enhance the value of land and conserve the value of buildings.
To enhance the physical environment of the Town and preserve its natural, scenic and cultural resources.
- To improve design and adequacy of transportation facilities, traffic circulation and parking and loading facilities.
- To prevent excessively dense and inefficiently spaced development.
- To provide adequate light and air to all buildings and to prevent overcrowding of structures.
- To assure privacy for residences.
- To facilitate the proper administration and appropriate and effective enforcement of this chapter.
- To separate and cluster uses to their mutual advantage and to encourage flexibility in design and land use patterns so that development is most appropriate with respect to the characteristics of the land.