CLICK HERE TO LINK TO THE VIRTUAL OPEN HOUSE AND SURVEYS. OPEN UNTIL FEB. 9TH
Protecting and Enhancing our Diverse Waterfronts
This webpage is dedicated to providing information about the Local Waterfront Revitalization Program (LWRP) planning effort being conducted by the Town of Esopus. Adopted in 1987, the Town's existing LWRP has been instrumental in improving waterfront recreation opportunities and protecting unique shoreline and related upland habitats.
This LWRP update will focus on the Hudson River and Rondout Creek shorelines and associated upland areas located within the 1987 Waterfront Revitalization Area (WRA) Boundary. An expansion of the existing waterfront area boundary to include the Wallkill River within the Town and the remainder of the Rondout Creek, will be considered in the update to increase opportunities for waterfront recreation, revitalization and economic development opportunities.
The Town of Esopus LWRP update is intended to encourage new economic activity and improve public access and recreational use of the Hudson River, Rondout Creek, and Wallkill River, while at the same time, seek to protect and restore natural resources and habitats. In addition to new and improved access, preservation and economic growth initiatives, future goals and recommendations may address climate change and rising sea levels in relation to proposed development areas and community infrastructure, and to support the continued evolution of the waterfront as a sustainable and resilient resource.
- Project Start: October 2020
- Waterfront Advisory Committee (WAC) Meetings: October 2020 - Present
- Check Town Calendar for dates and information
- Draft Waterfront Vision and Goals: June 2021
- Draft Waterfront Boundary Area Description: July 2021
- Draft Inventory and Analysis: November 2021
- Public Open House: January 12, 2022
- Draft Priority Project Recommendations: March 2022
- Second Public Meeting: April/May 2022
- Draft LWRP for Public Review: June/July 2022