Laborer and Assistant Supervisor to Buildings and Grounds Department
Summary: Assistant Director sought to provide crucial strategic and operational support to the Director of Buildings and Grounds. Oversees municipal-owned building operations and maintenance, including Town Hall, Transfer Station, public parks (all 7 of them) and pavilions, public open spaces/entryways, deeded cemeteries and associated building facilities and appurtenances. Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overview: The Assistant Director of Buildings and Grounds will work closely with staff and administration to promote efficient and safe management of operations to residents and employees across all of the Town’s buildings and grounds.
- Coordinates with Supervisor, Town Board, Superintendent of Highways, Recreation Director and volunteer committee members to implement upgrades and programmatic improvements to buildings and grounds.
- Oversees construction of the buildings and grounds garage, landscaping for public spaces, amenities and upgrades to parks, maintenance of deeded cemeteries, equipment installations, liaising with Central Hudson regarding the street light district and snowplowing for Town hall, TEVAS, Transfer station and park roads.
- Plans and implements grounds upkeep meeting all local, state and federal guidelines, including but not limited to proper trash removal and resource recovery, asbestos disposal, hazardous chemicals, access to buildings by the handicapped and playground safety.
- Tracks, orders and operates equipment, systems and supplies for Town facilities and properties, including HVAC, plumbing, masonry, electrical systems and Town Hall solar field.
- Assist in selection, assignment, scheduling, training and evaluation of custodial, maintenance and grounds staff, keeping abreast of new information, innovative ideas and techniques.
- Monitor time records of seasonal staff, conducting in-service meetings and staff meetings as required.
- Regulate heat, ventilation and air conditioning systems to provide temperatures appropriate to the season requiring economic usage of fuel, water and electricity.
- The ideal candidate for the position will be organized, productive and have excellent problem-solving abilities and technical expertise. S/he is a team player exhibiting:
- The ability to react to change and be flexible while handling other tasks assigned.
- Support of philosophy and vision of the Town and plan buildings and grounds program accordingly.
- Sound judgement in analyzing situations to determine appropriate actions.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience as supervisor of institutional building and grounds operations.
- Strong physical endurance, working indoor and outdoor year-round, with dust, fumes and odors.
- Familiarity with computers and software relating to maintenance and inventory.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Rate commensurate with experience. Eligible for New York State retirement benefits.