Applications Closed Until 2022
Thank you to our 2021 participants!
Filled applications can be submitted with payments
in the drop-box outside the front door of Town Hall.
What is the Sleightsburgh Spit Recreation Program?
In response to continued concerns regarding a public access policy for Sleightsburgh Spit Park, this program has been developed in order to fit the needs of park users with particular interests whose activities typically occur outside the hours of public access (6 AM – 9 PM). Participants in the Recreation Program are individuals who have applied and received access to the Park outside of these hours.
Here’s what that means:
- Sleightsburgh Recreation Program participants are allowed access to Sleightsburgh Spit Park during hours unavailable to the public – from 9 PM to 6 AM – for the following purposes:
- Hunting (Waterfowl only, no trapping)
- Hiking/Nature Study
- Participants are not ‘entitled to the Park’ in any way that goes beyond off-hours access.
- Participants are not given preference over other park visitors in terms of parking availability.
- Participants are subject to the Park rules and State / DEC regulations.
How does it work?
- The Town Board announces that applications for this year’s Sleightsburgh Spit Recreation Program are now open.
- Applicants submit their form & application fees to Esopus Town Hall using the drop-box located outside the front door.
- On the week following the application deadline, 25 applicants are selected by lottery drawing to become Program participants for the upcoming year. (If less than 25 individuals apply, all are selected). This lottery drawing is live-streamed on our Facebook page.
- Once the participants are determined, they are required to come to Town Hall to pick up a vehicle decal identifying them as Program Participants and a remote gate-opener for use at the Park.
- Participants are required to return their gate-opener and dispose of their decal by June 15th of the following year.
How do I apply?
- Download the Application Form here or visit Esopus Town Hall – hard copies are available next to the entrance upstairs.
- Follow the instructions on the Application and return it to Town Hall by depositing it in the drop-box next to the entrance.
- That’s it! If you are selected to become a Participant, Town of Esopus staff will notify you with further instructions by phone.
Thank you for your consideration as we work to keep our parks safe, and we look forward to helping you enjoy all Sleightsburgh has to offer!